Hello from Indiana

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
JazzHandsAlien

Hello from Indiana

Post by JazzHandsAlien »

Hello everyone

I am new to high quality costuming in general, but it's a hobby I think I might enjoy, particularly in the context of the 501st.

Anyway, at the top of my list of potential first costumes are the Scout Trooper over in Pathfinders, and the Snowtrooper. I love both of these designs and I think if I stick with the hobby I would ultimately build both.

Any tips on the pros and cons of these would be great.

Also, looking at the snowtrooper options in the CRL, what are the pros and cons of the standard Snowtrooper vs the snowtrooper commander?

Both in the context of the build itself and each style's role in the Legion

Thanks!
Captain_Wordo
Trooper Liaison Officer
Name: Markus
TKID: 28873
Garrison: German Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by Captain_Wordo »

Hi there and welcome to the Blizzard Force detachment!

There are more vendors for the snowtrooper kits than for the snowtrooper commander parts. You can check them out at this place:
http://blizzardforce.com/forum/viewtopi ... 115&t=3611 and http://blizzardforce.com/forum/viewtopi ... 115&t=3612

Good luck with your TS journey :D
tubachris85x
Detachment Leader
Name: Christopher Williams
TKID: 2556
Garrison: Tyranus

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by tubachris85x »

JazzHandsAlien wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm

Also, looking at the snowtrooper options in the CRL, what are the pros and cons of the standard Snowtrooper vs the snowtrooper commander?

Both in the context of the build itself and each style's role in the Legion

Thanks!
Welcome, first and foremost,

The pros/cons between them are generally subjective and open to interpretation, but at the end of the day, it's going to be up to you.

A standard snowtrooper is generally easier to maintain and move in, both because of the general design of the costume but the fact that it's allowed to be weathered. It eliminates the need for significant attention to detail in terms of cleanliness. Additionally, as of current, it's still far readily available than a commander costume. Generally speaking, comfortability and reduced need for maintenance are the pros.

The Snowy commander is a mix bag for some, but generally it's not as comfortable due to the helmet style, boots and gloves (which becomes annoying after awhile. The costume also cannot be weathered, so you have to ensure scuffs and general wear, stains, etc. are taken care of, but generally avoid if at all possible. If you were ever in the Navy and had to take care of Dress Whites, it's pretty much a long the same lines. The helmet is similar in comfortability to wearing a royal guard helmet, but I still can turn my head w/ my commander. I find the gloves to be a pain as I'm not as dexterous as I could be with my regular snowy gloves, and trying to hold my DL-44 was risky.

However, the biggest pro w/ the commander is the overall visual appearance. It's a more "formal" looking character, I've actually worn to events that requested "clean" troopers and retirement ceremonies. Contextually speaking in the Legion, there's nothing that makes it special or stands out. The only instance in which we assigned it such significance was during star wars weekends, where we had only 1 or 2 commanders max, but the rest were in standard snowtrooper costumes.

So yea, I don't think either one is a bad option to be honest, but comes down to personal preference and what you're wanting. I've done both, but I wear my standard snowy the most (cause I also need to upgrade parts on my commander too). Truth is a commander is still not as prevalent, so it can be a unique one to have if your local area doesn't have any to begin with.
Winning every battle since 1980
scottdm62
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Scottdm62

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by scottdm62 »

Well hello there!! What part of Indiana are you from? I know people in both garrisons in Indiana I can point you to for either costume. This will give you a local presence to assist you. I am from near Indy.