TK-18652

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
darth havoc
Name: Jamie
TKID: 18652
Garrison: Garrison Carida

TK-18652

Post by darth havoc »

Hello Snowie's, TK-18652 (Jamie) reporting. Thanks for allowing me to join in on the forums. I'm interested for my next build to either do a Snowtrooper or a first order Snowtrooper and could use some advise. Any would be greatly appreciated. I do not have any items yet so I have a blank canvas to start working with. Thanks again

Jamie
DisposablHero
TKID: 23388
Garrison: Badlands Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: TK-18652

Post by DisposablHero »

Welcome Jamie!

By all means feel free to pick our brains. Really your first step will be deciding which version of the Snowy you want to do.

The two things to keep in mind will be this:

1) Which one do you like the looks of more? Since you already have a TK there's no rush on a costume.

2) How easy do you want it to be? The ep 5 Snowy will be the easiest since pretty much everything is known about the costume, there's lots of reference material and there are quite a few makers of the armour now. The TFA armour, while we have seen 360 degree displays of it is still fairly unknown. Plus, aside from the helmet, I don't believe anyone is making any of the armour yet.

So really it comes down to personal preference and how patient/eager you are.

Hope this helps, and hope we see you joining us here in the future ;)
"It's a little known fact that every Canadian citizen is born with a sharp, serrated edge somewhere on their body as protection from polar bears and enraged Quebecois."
-Questionable Content webcomic #643
darth havoc

Post by darth havoc »

Thanks. Since my TK is an ESB is like to keep my TS the same episode. I would either do the Snowtrooper or the commander. I was looking at troopermaster and sent him a pm regarding his kit. I'm 6'02 265 and don't want to buy a kit that looks tiny on me. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks again

Jamie
DisposablHero

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by DisposablHero »

Hopefully Chris will chime in here, he's I believe our biggest trooper...the man is a giant! I can't say for the size of TM. If you dig around in the discussion threads you should be able to find people commenting on armour sizes. I'm right around 5'11" and a bit under 220 and my MC kit is plenty big enough for me.
"It's a little known fact that every Canadian citizen is born with a sharp, serrated edge somewhere on their body as protection from polar bears and enraged Quebecois."
Guff
Name: Wayne.
TKID: 23116
Garrison: UK Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Guff »

Troopermasters is "movie sized" i.e. ideally suited to guys around the 5'9 mark and the chestplate is the smallest I've seen apart from RS.
We have a lot of larger guys in the UKG who have RS kits and there is always an issue with the gap between the chestpiece and ab plate.
Laws or Moncal are better for the larger guys. Especially the chestplate.

I have a comparison thread here where you can have a look at the various kits..

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=3580
darth havoc

Post by darth havoc »

Thanks Wayne and great thread on the different makes of armor. You just saved me a bunch of credits. From everything I've seen and researched, it looks like Moncal would be the better. The only thing I saw that seemed smaller was the ab piece with them greeblie
DisposablHero

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by DisposablHero »

I can definitely vouch for the quality of the MC kit. The downside is the wait time is pretty bad (though getting better than when I ordered) but the plus side is the kit is ridiculously easy to assemble. The pack and helmet (minus the cowl) come assembled which makes the whole thing a breeze to put together.
Guff

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Guff »

Another vote for MC.
Before I got my TM, I had a MC and it's a great kit. ( I kept the lid).
Unfortunately, being on the short side, the chestpiece always gave me concerns... so to that end I changed to TM.
Last edited by Guff on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
darth havoc

Post by darth havoc »

this may be a dumb question. How do i get in touch with MonCal. i went to a website far away creations and sent an email. Is this the correct site or is there another way to order a kit? Sorry
Guff

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Guff »

That's his site, yes.
Be prepared if you don't get an immediate response though. Cal operates over something like 20 forums and is always busy.
His wife usually answers his mail. It may take a few days, but you do get an answer.
Sponge1981
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Rob Wilcock
TKID: 26714

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Sponge1981 »

Looks like you've already made your decision to go MC so I'm just going to echo what Guff has written as further back up. I'm 6"1 and 270lbs and went with RS, overall the costume is great but I have fairly recently changed my chest plate to the MC version as the RS one was just too small leaving a gap between the ab plate that I was never completely at ease with.
The MC chest plate is far better suited to my frame

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs
DisposablHero

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by DisposablHero »

As Guff said, patience is the key. MC run with a very small crew for the amount of work they do so communication is slow but it does come. Just wait for a reply rather than messaging them from multiple boards, the more places they have to read the same message from the more it slows the whole thing down.

I think you'll love your kit when you get it. MCs armour kit was the first kit I'd ever bought and it's easily the greatest purchase I've made (with regards to costumes)
darth havoc

Post by darth havoc »

Got an email today from them. Another one coming in a few days with pricing and options. Thanks for all the help and info.
tubachris85x
Detachment Leader
Name: Christopher Williams
TKID: 2556
Garrison: Tyranus

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by tubachris85x »

Sorry for not chiming in sooner, I was away at a convention all weekend.

While I can vouch for MC's kit sizing being large enough, you're going to be paying to wait in line for at least 2+ years before you get it. Dan Laws is the armor I have but he's taking a break as of right now, though he will casually put kits up for sale in the future.

That being said, I'd say look into Boba Maker or Scootches if you're actually looking to get a snowtrooper put together before the next star wars film comes out
Winning every battle since 1980
darth havoc

Post by darth havoc »

Got a bunch of responses with prices. Looking into best ones. Thanks for all the info. I'll keep you posted